Statue of Hodge - Dr Johnson’s cat. Hodge was Dr Samuel Johnson’s (1709 – 1784) cat. His statue is in the courtyard outside Dr Johnson’s House at 17 Gough Square, City of London. It shows him sitting atop a copy of his master’s famous dictionary, with a couple of empty oyster shells next to him; he’s looking towards his master’s house. According to Dr Johnson, Hodge was ‘a very fine cat indeed’.